Welcome to the Denton County Sheriff’s Office Web site. Our goal is to provide citizens and visitors with quick and easy access to information about this office, the departments within the Sheriff's Office, and the Denton County Jail.
The Detention Division employs more than 424, or about two-thirds, of the Sheriff's Office employees. The detention facility currently has four sections: the linear Jail, the direct-supervision Jail, the pre-trial facility, and the support section of the Jail, which includes the book-in, property, classification, transport, bonds, records and front desk operations. The Detention Officer performs specialized law enforcement work in the care and security of inmates to ensure their constitutional rights and welfare are safeguarded in the County Jail.
Description of Duties:
- Admits prisoners to the County Jail, ensures that inmates are correctly booked and searched, and advises prisoners of all jail rules and regulations.
- Patrols entire jail area to prevent escapes and maintain order;
- Monitors cameras showing interior and exterior perimeter(s); video-tapes incoming inmates; and monitors emergency systems. Supervises inmate trustees performing various duties such as serving meals to inmates, loading and unloading materials at the dock, cleaning jail cells, performing laundry detail, and performing kitchen detail.
- Issues linen, clothing, toilet supplies, supervises shower and inventory of supplies; oversees cafeteria area.
- Distributes mail to prisoners; provides inmates with paper, pencils, and envelopes; collects outgoing mail from inmates.
- Performs various life safety functions that require training in CPR and fire safety and suppression.
- Selects, reviews, and monitors housing assignments of inmates according to proper classification mandated by Texas Criminal Justice Standards using custody assessment system.
- Reviews and updates inmate custody status about bond amount changes, charges added, and dismissed, and completes daily population counts.