The Gwinnett County Police Department is a nationally accredited and rapidly growing police agency located in the Northeastern quadrant of the Atlanta metropolitan area. The Department currently has an authorized strength of 783 sworn officers supported by 280 civilian employees with the responsibility of providing law enforcement services to approximately 800,000 residents within an area of 436 square miles.
Employees are trained to become Police Officers. Applicants must pass a series of tests and interviews prior to selection as employees. Once selected, individuals must complete academy requirements, and if successful, continue to field training assisted by veteran officers (PO Master or Corporals). This job requires a pre-employment drug test and subsequent random drug and alcohol testing in accordance with Gwinnett County Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace.
$38,642, with possible incentives up to
$39,801 (includes 3% pay incentive for an Associate's degree)
$40,960 (includes 6% pay incentive for a Bachelor's degree)
- High School Diploma, or G.E.D.;
- Must be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible for Georgia P.O.S.T. certification;
- Valid Driver's License from state of residency;
- Must be 21 years of age, 20 years old at time of application;
- Must successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation including criminal, controlled substance, credit, driving, work history, and physical agility testing.
- Health, dental, vision, prescription drug insurance plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and Dependent Care
- HSA/HRA available
- Basic, Optional and Dependent Life Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- On-site Medical Wellness Center
- Holidays: 12 holidays per year
- Annual leave (vacation): 13 days/year at hire; ascending thereafter
- Sick leave: 13 days/year
- Immunizations (Flu Shots, Tetanus, etc.)
- Wellness Incentive Programs
- Annual Wellness Fair
- 529 College Savings payroll deduction
- Financial Education Programs
- Funeral Leave
- Longevity Pay after 3 years (full-time status)
- Tuition Reimbursement after 2 years (full-time status)
- Employee assistance program
- Uniforms and equipment furnished
- Employee discount programs
- Retirement Benefits include:
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan
* Employees can choose a contribution rate of 2.5%,5.0%, or 7.5%
* Gwinnett County will contribute 7.0% of your pensionable earnings per pay period.
- An employee is fully vested in 5 years. An employee can retire if he/she has reached the age of 55 and the sum of his/her
age and years of service equals 65.
- Deferred Compensation Plan
* If you contribute at least 2.5% of your base pay to the 457(b) plan, Gwinnett County will contribute an additional 1% to your Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (this is in addition to the 7% described above).