The San Jose Police Department (SJPD) is now hiring for the position of Police Recruit, the entry-level training classification to becoming a SJPD Officer. The Department is a dynamic, progressive and professional organization dedicated to maintaining community partnerships, which promotes a high quality of life for the residents of San Jose, the tenth largest city in the nation. The Department employs over 900 police officers in four Bureaus, with more than 50 specialized assignments such as Homicide, Robbery, Crime Scene, M.E.R.G.E., Traffic Enforcement, School Resources, Canines, and Air Support.
- No experience or training required
- At least 20 ½ years-old at the time of application
- U.S. high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED); waived if you have a college degree from an accredited college within the U.S.
- Must have completed 40 semester college credits or 60 quarter college credits from a U.S. accredited college or university. Credits in-progress from another police academy are not accepted.
- Military Veterans with an honorable discharge can substitute four (4) years of service in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard in lieu of the minimum college credit requirement
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license
- Must have at least 20/40 corrected vision
- No felony, domestic violence or misdemeanor assault convictions; cannot currently be on probation or parole
- Paid Academy training for Police Recruit of $40.47/hour
- Annual base pay range for Police Officer with required POST training completed in the SJPD Academy: $98,051 to $152,415
- Paid vacation and sick time accrual annually
- Annual uniform allowance of $675
- Four-day work-week, ten-hour shifts
- Bilingual pay – 2.5%