The Durham Police Department is now accepting applications for the next academy, which is tentatively scheduled to start in February 2021. Applications will be sent in BY MAIL or by making an APPOINTMENT ONLY
The following positions are available:
- ENTRY LEVEL RECRUIT OFFICERS - $37, 029.00 annually with a salary increase to $38,790.00 w/High School or GED, $39,760.00 w/Associates or $40,730.00 w/Bachelor’s Degree after Phase III of the training program.
- BLET CERTIFIED GRADUATES - $38,790.00 (BLET certified w/no experience) annually w/High School degree with a salary increase to $39,760.00 w/Associates or $40,730.00 w/Bachelor’s Degree, after Phase III of the abbreviated training program.
- LATERAL ENTRY OFFICERS - $38,790.000-$47,149.00 (depending on years of service) annually with a salary increase of 2.5% w/Associates Degree or 5% w/Bachelor’s Degree, upon completion of the abbreviated training program.
To obtain a City of Durham Police Application packet it is recommended you contact one of the following recruiters.
*** DRESS CODE IS BUSINESS CASUAL***
REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME AN OFFICER INCLUDE:
- Completion of high school or equivalent (some college preferred) – Certified transcripts required from both high school and college (in a sealed envelope).
- Age 20 upon completion of classroom training.
- Must meet vision, hearing and other physical requirements.
- Must meet credit standards.
- No felony convictions No serious misdemeanor convictions in the past five years.
- No Domestic Violence convictions (Federal Law)
- No DUI/DWI convictions in the past five years.
- Valid driver’s license required, No suspension of driving privileges in the past 3 years. No more than 2 convictions of moving violations in the past three years, 3 convictions
of moving violations in the past five years or 4 convictions of moving violations in the past seven years.
- Pass an entry level written examination and physical test.
- Pass an extensive background investigation, credit check, criminal history check, drug screening psychological examination, medical examination and polygraph examination.
- Military Personnel must have an honorable discharge.
- Must be a US Citizen or Naturalized Citizen.
- NO ILLEGAL DRUG USE IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS
Applicants for police officer/recruit positions will be disqualified from the hiring process if the time since their last usage does not meet or exceed the following age-specific benchmarks (prior to their date of application)
- Applicants who are 24 years of age or younger should not have used marijuana in the past 12 months
- Applicants who are 25 years of age should not have used marijuana in the past 2 years
- Applicants who are 26 years of age should not have used marijuana in the past 3 years
- Applicants who are 27 years of age should not have used marijuana in the past 4 years
- Applicants who are 28 years of age or older should not have used marijuana in the past 5 years
CITY OF DURHAM POLICE DEPARTMENT BENEFITS
- 11 paid holidays per year
- 96 hours of vacation per year (increases with years of service)
- 96 hours of sick leave per year, which accumulate indefinitely
- Sick leave incentive
- Educational Pay Compensation after Phase III of Training
Associate’s Degree = 2.5%
Bachelor’s Degree = 5%
- 2 weeks leave for reserve military training
- DOL/VA Apprenticeship Program for Qualified Veterans
- Uniforms and equipment furnished
- Medical/Dental/Life insurance
- State and City retirement plans
- 401(k) plan. The equivalent of 5% of salary contributed by the City for Sworn personnel.
- 457 retirement plans available
- Funeral Leave
- Volunteer school service
- Parental leave
- Wellness program offered
- Employee Assistance Program – personal and family counseling
- Take home car program (must live within city limits)
For additional information visit our website at www.durhampolice.com or contact the Durham Police recruiting Unit at (919) 560-4575.
The City of Durham and Durham Police Department is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.