Under general supervision, to perform a variety of correctional duties.
- To safeguard and supervise inmates.
- To maintain discipline and enforce rules and regulations in the Milwaukee County Jail.
- To maintain custody of county pre-trial detainees during examinations, hearings, hospital watches, trials or during conveyance to State or County institutions.
- To observe, monitor and evaluate inmate behavior; to supervise inmate visiting, programs and recreations; to conduct electronic and physical searches of prisoners, visitors and buildings.
- To enter and retrieve reports, records and other information using a computer terminal.
- To classify and interact with inmates; to control, direct and instruct inmates individually and/or in large groups; to restrain combative inmates; to re-orientate jail rules.
- To accept inmates into custody and to release inmates from custody to proper authority.
- To maintain records and testify in court.
- To perform any other duties as assigned.
Note: Candidates should expect to be assigned to all shifts, holidays and weekends. Required and/or mandatory overtime does occur. Candidates must successfully complete appropriate training program. Appointment is subject to the following probationary period: Correctional Officer 1 (Sheriff), 2,080 hours. Probation period is based on straight time paid.
Some positions may require qualifying with a service weapon on a regular basis. Positions require successful completion of law enforcement training courses, which may include, but are not limited to: jailor certification, and direct supervision principles. Applicants will be required to submit to a thorough background investigation. Applicants will also be required to pass a pre-employment drug testing and medical examination after preliminary offer of employment.
Minimum age of 19; High School Diploma or GED; No felony convictions, unless pardoned