The Durham Police Department is now accepting applications for the next academy, which is tentatively scheduled to start in AUGUST 2021. Applications will be sent in BY MAIL or by making an APPOINTMENT ONLY
The following positions are available:
- ENTRY LEVEL RECRUIT OFFICERS - $37, 029.00 annually with a salary increase to $38,790.00 w/High School or GED, $39,760.00 w/Associates or $40,730.00 w/Bachelor’s Degree after Phase III of the training program.
- BLET CERTIFIED GRADUATES - $38,790.00 (BLET certified w/no experience) annually w/High School degree with a salary increase to $39,760.00 w/Associates or $40,730.00 w/Bachelor’s Degree, after Phase III of the abbreviated training program.
- LATERAL ENTRY OFFICERS - $38,790.000-$47,149.00 (depending on years of service) annually with a salary increase of 2.5% w/Associates Degree or 5% w/Bachelor’s Degree, upon completion of the abbreviated training program.
To obtain a City of Durham Police Application packet it is recommended you contact one of the following recruiters.
*** DRESS CODE IS BUSINESS CASUAL***
REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME AN OFFICER INCLUDE:
- Completion of high school or equivalent (some college preferred) – Certified transcripts required from both high school and college (in a sealed envelope).
- Age 20 upon completion of classroom training.
- Must meet vision, hearing and other physical requirements.
- Must meet credit standards.
- No felony convictions No serious misdemeanor convictions in the past five years.
- No Domestic Violence convictions (Federal Law)
- No DUI/DWI convictions in the past five years.
- Valid driver’s license required, No suspension of driving privileges in the past 3 years. No more than 2 convictions of moving violations in the past three years, 3 convictions
of moving violations in the past five years or 4 convictions of moving violations in the past seven years.
- Pass an entry level written examination and physical test.
- Pass an extensive background investigation, credit check, criminal history check, drug screening psychological examination, medical examination and polygraph examination.
- Military Personnel must have an honorable discharge.
- Must be a US Citizen or Naturalized Citizen.
- NO ILLEGAL DRUG USE IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS