Application Period: August 1, 2019 through August 30, 2019
The City of Evanston is now accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Evanston Police Department. Please read these application requirements carefully, paying particular attention to deadlines and required documents.
Base Salary Range: $66,656 - $98,255 (effective 1/1/2020)
Sworn Police Officers: 165
- Passing score on the POWER Test to be administered on Sunday, September 22, 2019 at Evanston Township High School;
- Passing score on the Written Exam to be administered on Saturday, October 12, 2019 at Northwestern University;
- Passing score on the Subjective Component (dates to be determined);
- Certification by the Evanston Public Safety Civil Service Commission.
Police Officer Minimum Requirements:
- $40.00 non-refundable application fee;
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
- No felony or misdemeanor convictions in accordance with 50 ILCS 705/6.1;
- Valid State issued driver’s license and a safe driving record;
- Must be between 21 and 35 years of age at the time of employment, unless exempt by State statute (no age limitation with previous employment as full-time police officer or not older than 45 years of age with eligible prior active duty military service);
- High school diploma or GED equivalent -AND- completion of 60 college credit hours;
- Valid Firearm Owner Identification card or the ability to obtain one.
- Resident of Evanston, Illinois at the time of application;
- One or more years of active duty service and honorable discharge from the US Armed Forces;
- Current employment as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer (starting pay step negotiable based on experience);
- Certification as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board or reciprocal State training board.
Required Documents (to be submitted at time of application):
- $40.00 non-refundable application fee;
- COPY of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status (acceptable documentation may include a valid U.S. passport, permanent resident alien card, or naturalization papers);
- COPY of your valid driver’s license (if your license was renewed with a sticker, copies of the front AND back are required);
- COPY of high school diploma or GED certificate (acceptable documentation may include copy of high school diploma, high school transcript with graduation date, dated GED, college transcript showing high school and high school graduation date, or signed letter on high school letterhead);
- COPY of official college/university transcripts indicating completion of at least 60 college credit hours from an accredited college or university. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted!!
- Failure to include all of the required documents upon submission of your application will render your application incomplete and will disqualify you.
Preferred Required Documents:
- COPY of Military Discharge Form DD-214 (if applicable);
- COPY of current driver’s license or State ID showing residence in Evanston, IL;
- COPY of certification as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board or reciprocal state training board;
- Proof of current employment as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer.
APPLICATION PERIOD OPENS AUGUST 1, 2019 AND CLOSES AUGUST 30, 2019. APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ONLINE BY 4:00 PM (CST) ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 30th, 2019.
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit the following website:
For more information about the Evanston Police Department, please visit the City’s website at: https://www.cityofevanston.org/government/departments/police
The City of Evanston is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a person's race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status,source of income, housing status, or gender identity.
At least 60 college credit hours from an accredited college or university.