This position is full time and non-exempt.
- Responsible for the security and safety of all inmates, visitors and staff within the correctional facilities
- Performs duties under the direct supervision of the Sergeant and is accountable for use of delegated authority
- Demonstrates positive attitude, professionalism, tact and discretion with staff, volunteers and the public
- Prevents access of unauthorized persons inside the premises
- Properly and efficiently checks all personnel and vehicles for identity prior to entry
- Conducts security rounds
- Supervises inmate activities
- Escorts inmates throughout the jail as required
- Maintains floor log of daily inmate activities
- Ensures that inmates are fed
- Responsible for overseeing inmate recreation as scheduled or authorized
- Responsible for observing the physical and mental condition of all inmates and documenting on the appropriate logs
- Responsible to report any behaviors (mental or physical) that may indicate suicidal attempt to supervisory staff and medical as well as mental health personnel
- Consults medical personnel concerning inmate’s health to verify an inmate’s illness and identify any necessary precautions
- Conduct thorough searches of all detainee/inmates and inventory all items
- Conduct security checks of all doors and windows for proper functioning
- Investigates injuries to inmates and report to supervisor
- Ensures all the proper checks prior to releasing any inmate
- Monitors camera, audio alarms, door alarms, fire alarms, etc.
- Monitors inmate movement and activity
- Inventories and issues facility keys, vehicle keys, radios, etc.
- Additional responsibilities as designated
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Requires a high school diploma/GEDREQUIRED SKILLS
- Decision Making – Evaluates and responds quickly to situations in a firm and tactful manner
- Diffuses emotional situations and offers solutions.
- Professionalism – Develops and maintains cooperative and professional relationships with employees, managers, and representatives from other departments and organizations.
- Shares knowledge with staff for mutual and departmental benefit.
- REQUIRED ABILITIES
- Time Management - Plans and organizes daily work routine. Estimates expected time of completion of elements of work and establishes a personal schedule accordingly. Implements work activities in accordance with priorities and estimated schedules.
- Communication – Ability to communicate ideas effectively, including the preparation of reports and logs. Ability to listen and understand directions, information and ideas presented verbally and in writing. Ability to handle a variety of customer service issues with tact and diplomacy in a confidential manner.
- Judgment – Ability to anticipate, identify and evaluate potentially dangerous, unusual or deviating situations and to exercise appropriate judgment to establish priorities and make prompt problem-solving actions.
Requires an acceptable background check to include a local and state criminal history check and sex offender registry check
Requires pre-employment medical evaluation, drug testing and is subject to random alcohol and controlled substance testing.
Must maintain a current & valid VA driver’s license with an acceptable driving record (no greater than -2 driving points)
Must obtain certification through a Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (VDCJS) training academy at the Hampton Roads Criminal Justice Training Academy (HRCJTA)
Must obtain and maintain a Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services Firearms Certification upon successful completion of HRCJTA within the first year of employment